My first three months as a graduate at Novo Nordisk – what have I done so far?

Category: Business IT Business Processes European Business Management European Finance Global Finance Global Marketing International Operations Finance R&D Global Development R&D Regulatory Affairs | 8 comments

When I look back at my first three months as a Global Marketing graduate, what a fantastic experience it has been!

In this short span of time, I have

• developed scientific communication programs
  • been to the global expert panel meeting in Nice
  • been managing projects with internal and external partners
  • been collaborating with several stakeholders
  • represented Novo Nordisk at the CEMS Career Fair in Budapest about which Fredrik has more to tell you
  • made presentations for senior management and external speakers
  • prepared project proposals and briefs for vendors and agencies
  • been to the International Diabetes Federation in Dubai
  • received training in cLEAN principles, pharmaceutical industry and innovation in action
  • met type 2 diabetes and haemophilia patients
  • been introduced to the world of global marketing at Novo Nordisk
  • had an opportunity for continuous personal development
  • had a zumba lesson, a glass blowing workshop and a trip to a modern art museum as part of team building off-sites
  • learnt some Danish
  • found 31 new friends from around the globe and certainly some for life
  • been dancing and partying with the other graduates until wee hours of the morning

In a nutshell it has been a very exciting journey so far with me getting my own projects and responsibilities from the very first day…it feels good to be taken seriously from day one on your first job! You might have similar or completely different experiences if you become a graduate, but one thing is certain…you will be have a good time!

With this I welcome you to my blog and to my first post.

Let me know if you have any questions and/or comments. I am here to help you with anything and everything…well almost :)

Graduates Team 2011 at the Introdction Day in Bagsvaerd!

My first three months as a graduate at Novo Nordisk – what have I done so far?, 4.1 out of 5 based on 7 ratings

9 Comments to My first three months as a graduate at Novo Nordisk – what have I done so far?

1. Posted December 13, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Permalink
    Bharath Karnam says:

Hi Sona,

How important is international experience, in order to get through the selection process? Is an academic stint abroad preferred? Am asking this as I have done my entire education in India, and was wondering whether I would be eligible for applying to base camp. The graduate program seems pretty exciting :)

2. Posted December 14, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Permalink
    Rikke Levin Andreasen says:

Hi Sona,

We spoke on the phone a couple of days ago and I want to thank you for your answers, it really gave me the drive to apply for the graduate position:).
    Anyway, your tasks sounds very exiting. But one thing I didnt get to ask you on the phone is: what made you apply for Novo at first?

Best
    Rikke

3. Posted January 2, 2012 at 11:15 am | Permalink
    Max says:

Hi Bharath,

Thank you very much for your interest. It is clear from the vast amount of applicants that international experience is prevalent however most definitely not a prerequisite. An international and mobile mindset is as you will be working in an international environment as well as having at least one rotation abroad. So with your education in India you are of course eligible to apply.

Max

4. Posted January 3, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Permalink
    Max says:

Hi Rikke,

I’m not sure for Sona’s reasoning however for me myself as a Dane I have always held Novo Nordisk in high regard as a company. When I finished my studying I learnt of the diverse programs and the possibilities which they entailed. For me they were a clear possibility because of their flexibility and that I could shape the experience, because of the international experience, and because of the expectations set for the program not just by those who manage it but all the way to executive management team. Thus I found it was the best way that I could start my entrance into the ‘real world’, getting the most out of my education.

I hope that helped, if not please don’t hesitate to contact me again.

Max

5. Posted January 4, 2012 at 5:12 am | Permalink
    Ketan Agrawal says:

Dear Max,

I like your response to Rikke’s question. I am very interested in knowing about your work experience before you applied for this program at Novo Nordisk. You could reach me at ketan@brandeis.edu if you’d like.

-Ketan

6. Posted January 4, 2012 at 11:37 am | Permalink
    Max says:

Dear Ketan,

Thank you for showing your interest.

Prior to working at Novo Nordisk I was studying for my masters degree which I completed only days before starting. The rules actually say that you must have received your masters degree at the latest 1 year after starting on the graduate program.

Work experience wise I had worked for IBM for almost 2 years part-time in an unrelated role. Prior to this I had no related work experience.

Max

7. Posted January 6, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Permalink
    Sona says:

Hi all,

Thank you for your interest!

@Bharath, Further to the response from Max, education in India should not hold you back from applying to the graduate program as long as you are ready to work in an international environment and ready for change. As in the graduate program “change is the only constant”…with several rotations, new cultures, new departments and new colleagues. Best of luck!

@Rikke, Glad to hear that our talk motivated you in some ways  In addition to the reasons shared by Max for me it was my education background and desire to work for a pharmaceutical company that made Novo Nordisk an easy choice. As my mom is a Diabetologist, it gave me some exposure to Novo Nordisk beforehand on several occasions and got me excited to apply. Something I appreciate about Novo from the feedback I received before I applied was the emphasis that’s given to not only professional but also personal development, which I can now vouch for. Hope this helps and let me know if you have anything more questions.

Sona

8. Posted January 18, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Permalink
    Katarina says:

Hi Sona,
    I’d like to ask you about what’s next after you apply. Is there a phone interview and then face to face interview? Do you have to travel to Denmark for the interview? And when you actually get on some on a graduate programme, is there any accommodation provided? Deadline for applications is in february but when does the programme usually start?

Thank you very much in advance.

9. Posted January 23, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Permalink
    Lise says:

Hi Katarina,

There is a phone interview first, and then an assessment centre. Check out older blogs on what to expect at these. Cheers, Lise