Regulatory Affairs is challenging (and energizing)

Category: R&D Regulatory Affairs Uncategorized | 39 comments

Hi potential applicants, my name is Mark (visit my profile to learn a bit about my background) and as a Regulatory Affairs Graduate, I am challenged every day.

Just like Jerome (Business IT) and Klaus ( Procurement) I’ve been met with skeptical individuals. They are unsure about the Regulatory Affairs Graduate Programme (and the Regulatory Affairs career field, in general). What does it offer, a part from sounding very legalistic?

To that I can say resoundingly, Regulatory Affairs is very dynamic, and because of that it is very challenging (and energizing). As I have spent my first 4 months attempting to navigate the world that is Regulatory Affairs, I have discovered how challenging it can be:

• Learning crazy amounts of information
  • Coordinating the efforts of many, many stakeholders
  • Mastering the regulations
  • Managing tasks that I have no idea about

But I have also discovered how energizing it can be:

Importantly, while the learning curve is steep, so is the reward curve.  As a result, every day I come to work excited.

So if you are on the fence, I strongly encourage you to read up on the Regulatory Affairs Graduate Programme and apply. Or if Regulatory Affairs isn’t the right fit for you, check out the other graduate opportunites. If you have any questions, please post a comment below, or email me. I look forward to hearing from you.

Also, stop by again as I will be video blogging with the other Regulatory Affairs Graduate (Sascha) and others from the 2013 year group.

See you,

Mark

Regulatory Affairs is challenging (and energizing) , 4.5 out of 5 based on 2 ratings

39 Comments to Regulatory Affairs is challenging (and energizing)

1. Posted December 16, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink
    Galal Eliraqi says:

Dear Mark,

Thank you for posting your interesting experience with the Regulatory Affairs Graduate programme.

As a current masters student (will graduate in June 2014), I wonder if I can apply for the graduate programme?

I do not have a masters degree yet but I will be having one before the programme starts.

Galal

2. Posted December 16, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Hi Galal,

You are most certainly eligible to apply. One can apply as long as he or she has completed or will complete his or her masters within a recent amount of time relative to the start of the programme (September 2014).

Additionally, if you do decide to apply, I encourage you to read some of the other posts for good ideas on how to write your cover letter.

Good luck,

3. Posted December 17, 2013 at 7:48 pm | Permalink
    Mann says:

Hi Mark,

I have 3 years of work experience after my bachelor’s course then i stopped working and pursued masters (pharmacology) and completed this month (Dec2013).

Am i eligible to apply?

Thank you!

4. Posted December 19, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Hi Mann,

Thank you for your question.

Since you have no work experience since finishing your master’s, I would say that you are eligible to apply.

5. Posted December 19, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Permalink
    chamu says:

Hi Mark

Thanks for your inspiring blog. I have just completed an Master of Pharmacy degree with Hons and have a great passion for regulatory affairs.
    Without being too forward can you advise me on the following
    1. how is the cost of living in Denmark?
    2. Is accomodation provided by Novo?
    3. Where did you your rotations?
    4. Do you get an allowance whilst training ? if so how much (sorry).
    5. How many people do they take for Reg Aff each year? and how many do they keep after the training?
    6. During the assessment days do they provide accomodation?

I will be grateful for your response as I am about to apply for 2014.

Regards

Chamu

6. Posted December 20, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Hi Chamu,

Thank you for your post.

In regards to your first question, I would say that the cost of living in Copenhagen is comparable to any other big city. For the second question, that will be addressed later in the process. For question 3, I have had my first rotation at headquarters in Copenhagen and then will have my second rotation in Brazil. The third rotation will be back in headquarters. That is generally the process for Regulatory Affairs graduates: first rotation at HQ, second rotation abroad, and the third rotation back at HQ.

To clarify, the graduate programme is not a training programme. You will be hired as a full time employee (but with a slightly more developmental sense) and therefore will recieve a salary. Going forward there will be 2 RA graduates each year with the intention of hiring them after the two years have been completed. And yes, during the Graduate Recruitment Center, accomodation is provided.

I am very glad to hear that you will be applying, good luck!

7. Posted December 20, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink
    apa says:

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your insightful blog post.

I’m interested in the RA Graduate programme but have some concerns about my qualifications and experience.

I have a BSc in Biochemistry and two Masters degrees in International Health. In addition, I have worked for a year and half in between the two degrees. I’m not sure though if I meet the requirements (not more than 1 year of working experience and a masters degree in natural science) for the programme. Please let me know if I can apply for the programme.

Thank you very much.

Best regards

8. Posted December 23, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Permalink
    chamu says:

Thanks Mark, your response is most apprecieted.

Regards

Chamu

9. Posted December 23, 2013 at 8:56 pm | Permalink
    Shikha Malik says:

Hello,

I have completed my Masters in Pharmacology Dec 2013 only. I have not received the copy of official transcript as of now. Shall I be eligible to apply for the Regulatory Affairs Graduate Prigram?

Since, the program will start in Sep 2014, Can I start working in India till then?

Also, I would appreciate if you could let me know the fee for the program and if there any salary/stipend to be paid during the program

I have not recieved any response earlier so reciprocating the same thing.

Shikha MAlik

10. Posted December 23, 2013 at 11:46 pm | Permalink
    Shiraz says:

Hi Mark,

I did my Master in analytical chemistry (Master’s Thesis: Proteomics) from stockholm university,sweden in oct 2011.I am living in copenhagen for more than two years. Since my master i have not been able to find any job related to my field. Do you consider analytical chemistry degree in the RA graduate programme? As you did not mentioned this degree in the natural science catagory. Moreover, its almost two years with no field related job,since i completed my degree. I wonder if i am eligible to apply?

Regards

/shiraz

11. Posted December 26, 2013 at 12:24 am | Permalink
    Pranav Patel says:

Respected Authority,
    I am Pranav Patel, a graduate 2013 from USA.

I was interested in three programs – RA, biostatistics and health economics. During my pharmacy schooling, we have touched upon topics dealing in the above mentioned areas. I have had research experiences as well that have helped me to use various statistical tools. I was wondering if there were would be any training opportunities during the rotations to polish my skills in using the statistical tools and programmes that would help excel in the job setting.

Please let me know and also how could I better prepare for this unique opportunity.

Pranav

12. Posted December 31, 2013 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Hi Shiraz,

Thank you for your question. Your degree fits within the realm of science-necessary degrees for the RA graduate programme. I’m not exactly sure what you mean by ‘field related job’, but as long as you have no work experience post completion of your master’s degree you are eligible. If you have work experience outside of your field, your eligibility may depend on what exactly the experience is.

Hope you apply,

13. Posted December 31, 2013 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Hi Shikha,

As long as you have your official transcript by the start of the programme, you are fine. In the meantime you can submit your application with whatever copy you currently possess.

It is not recommended to start working prior to the start date as the position requires no prior work experience.

There is a salary for the programme.

14. Posted December 31, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Hi Apa,

Thank you for your interest in the programme.

Unfortunately, your year and a half of post-graduate work experience may preclude you from being eligible.

Good luck,

15. Posted December 31, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Dear Pranav,

Thank you for your interest in the Novo Nordisk Graduate Programme. There are plenty of training opportunities during the graduate programme to help develop you as an RA professional.

Other than that, come with excitement, desire, and capability and you will be just fine.

Hope you consider applying,

16. Posted December 31, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink
    ROMANUS ABIA says:

Hi Mark,

Nice blog! Even when most of my intended questions have been answered. I gotta ask few questions still. I have a bachelor degree in Applied Biochemistry. I am presently in the last phase of my master degree in QUALITY IN ANALYTICAL LABORATORIES at the University of Bergen, Norway.By March 2014 I must have completed my research and obtain my degree. I was wondering if my master degree will fit in to the RA graduate programme in NOvo Nordisk. Thanks, your kind response will be appreciated!

17. Posted January 2, 2014 at 8:33 am | Permalink

Hi Romanus,

Your degree definitely fits within the RA graduate programme.

Good luck,

18. Posted January 2, 2014 at 9:33 pm | Permalink
    Kireeti says:

Hello Mark,
    This might not be an appropriate question, but I still posting it. Can you please give me the name and designation of a person to whom a cover letter should be preferably addressed to ? Your response will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & regards
    kireeti

19. Posted January 2, 2014 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Hi Kireeti,

You can address the cover letter to the program manager, Jakob Wolter. But don’t worry too much about that, as long as you are professional.

Good luck with your application,

20. Posted January 3, 2014 at 8:09 am | Permalink
    Mohammad arif says:

myself a masters in pharmacology, what are the things to be mentioned in motivational/cover letter can you provide some hints??
    awaiting for your response

21. Posted January 3, 2014 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Hi Mohammad,

Thank you for your question. Check out all of the graduates’ blogs for very helpful information on what to put in the motivational/cover letter. Ultimately, you should demonstrate that you have an interest in Novo Nordisk, Pharmaceuticals, and are a unique individual.

Good luck with your application,

22. Posted January 3, 2014 at 4:52 pm | Permalink
    Krishna says:

Hi mark,

1. I have completed by Master’s in July 2012 and until now I am working which gives me an experience of 1 year 6 months. Whether I will be eligible for the programme?
    2. After my bachelor’s I have immediately joined my master’s (Pharmacology) in Manipal University. Whether I might be suitable for any of the programmes?

23. Posted January 3, 2014 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Hi Krishna,

Thank you for your comment.

Unfortunately, the programme is looking for individuals with minimal experience post receiving his or her masters degree. Therefore a year and half of experience overqualifies you a bit. However, Novo Nordisk will continue to hire increasingly in 2014. Please check out the Novo Nordisk Job section: http://www.novonordisk.com/careers/job_section/current_jobs.asp for an opportunity that strikes you.

Good luck,

24. Posted January 3, 2014 at 9:54 pm | Permalink
    John Tataridis says:

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your blog.

Your profile is very interesting and your 4+ months experience is trully inspiring.

I am passionate about Regulatory Science and would love to be a part of Novo Nordisk Family.
    I have some concerns about my qualifications.
    I have a BSc (Hons) in Chemistry, PhD in Analytical Chemistry and 5-year Degree in Pharmacy (MPharm equiv.) with top GPAs. After completed my MPharm in Dec. 2013, I have 7 months part-time work experience as a community pharmacist. I was wondering if I could still apply?

May I wish you all the desire success and happiness for the New Year!

John

25. Posted January 6, 2014 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Hi John,

It sounds like you have a very interesting background. With less than a year of work experience post your MPharm you are certainly eligible to apply.

Good luck with your New Year as well,

26. Posted January 6, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink
    John Tataridis says:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your kind reply. I have just completed Regulatory Affairs Certificate Program as well, from RAPS, USA (Pharmaceutical – Medical Devices, Dual program) in order to acquire a solid background in this exciting field.
    I am looking forward to the opportunity of meeting with Novo Nordisk RA team.

John

27. Posted January 6, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Hi John,

That sounds good, and don’t forget to detail that in your CV/cover letter.

28. Posted January 10, 2014 at 11:56 am | Permalink
    Mengsheng Wang says:

Hi Mark :

I have the same question about my qualification, what I have is

A bachelor degree of pharmacy in china
    A international master degree of chemistry and bioscience in Sweden.
    I am studying “receptarieprgrammet” in Gothenburg University and aiming to get the Swedish Phamacist Licience, however it is not finished
    8 month phamaceutical industry work experience as QA
    I am good at English,Swedish and Chinese

I can take a pause for “receptarieprogrammet” study according to the rule of the university administration

Am I eligible to apply?

Thank you for your blog and so much helpful information has been shared.

Mengsheng

29. Posted January 10, 2014 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Dear Mengsheng,

Sounds like you have an interesting background. However, the intent of the programme is not necessarily for you to take a pause from current studying, but rather start on a life-changing career.

Regardless, if you have less than a year of work experience post master’s degree, you are eligible to apply.

Good luck,

30. Posted January 14, 2014 at 1:00 am | Permalink
    Claudia says:

Hi Mark!

I graduated in Pharmaceutical Chemistry last year and I would really like to apply for the RA graduate programme.
    I have a question: On my CV I have listed as “work experience” my experiences as a trainee in a pharmacy (which was mandatory in my degree course) and my activities in the biochemistry laboratory where I did researches for my degree thesis. I had these experiences before my graduation and I didn’t receive any salary.
    Do you think I am elegible for the programme?

Thank you very much for all your advices.

Regards

Claudia

31. Posted January 14, 2014 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Hey Claudia,

It sounds like you have a very interesting background. And yes, you are eligible to apply.

Good luck,

32. Posted January 24, 2014 at 11:08 am | Permalink
    Manish Shah says:

Hi Mark,

I am done with M Pharm in Pharmacology from RGUHS, Bangalore, India recently with no working experience. I feel myself eligible for more than one program like Regulatory affairs, Health economics and Trail management. So I would like know if I can apply for more than one programs. Your response will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards
    Manish

33. Posted January 24, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Hey Manish,

I understand that with a science background there are several appealing programmes. However, I wouldn’t recommend applying for anymore than two. The idea is that there is one programme in particular that you are especially interested in, so if you apply for several, that somewhat undermines this concept.

Good luck,

34. Posted January 24, 2014 at 7:42 pm | Permalink
    VIVEK says:

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for the reply to my first question. However, I have a different profile & I was wondering If I’m eligible to apply for the programme (Regulatory affairs graduate) or not-
    I’m a pharmaceutical student having completed my graduation & postgraduation from India, having worked in product development for more than one year after the postgraduation, however, I’m currently doing a second postgraduation in UK which will be completed in august 2014. So how you consider the situation?

35. Posted January 24, 2014 at 9:27 pm | Permalink
    Xi Qiu says:

Dear Mark,

I am Xi, currently a master’s candidate studying financial engineering in US. I have two questions about the qualification.

First, I have signed up with World Financial Group as a part time associate since Jan, 2013. However, I do not know if that could be qualified as working experience because mostly I was attending meetings and seminars and not really worked much. So I am worrying about if I still qualified for Global Finance Program.

Second, I want to know about the time frame of the program. My desired graduate date is May, 2014; however, I can choose to extend my program and graduate in Dec, 2014. I could not find a specific start date for Global Finance Program, which makes me hesitating on my graduating schedule. Can you help me on this concern?

Thank you very much!

Xi Qiu

36. Posted January 25, 2014 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Hi again, Vivek,

With more than a year of work experience post your master’s degree, you may be outside the scope of the programme. However, Novo Nordisk continues to hire plenty so please check out novonordisk.com/careers for more opportunities.

37. Posted January 25, 2014 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

Hi Xi,

While I am not an expert in regards to the Global Finance Programme, it sounds like you still are eligible since you haven’t finished your studies yet. Also, for a majority of the programmes, there is a start date of 1 Sept 2014 but I think global finance may be slightly more flexible in that regards. I would recommend finishing sooner rather than later to allow yourself some flexibility as well.

I hope that helped.

38. Posted February 6, 2014 at 8:17 am | Permalink
    Staurt says:

Very interesting blog! Hard work like this always works. I too have complete my studies in clinical research by simultaneously running part time courses for doctors. I must say that period was very hectic and sometimes seems impossible to balance studies,job and life.

39. Posted February 6, 2014 at 8:30 am | Permalink
    Mark Mark says:

I agree, hard work works!

When we reflect on such hectic times, we often wonder ‘how were we able to do it all’, but somehow we were and are all the better for it.

Thanks for the comment,