Why apply for the Business Processes Graduate Programme in Novo Nordisk?

Category: Business Processes | 17 comments

Dear Readers and potential future Graduates,

Welcome to my first blog post.

You may be out there wondering whether you should apply for the Graduate Programme and asking yourself questions like: “Why should I apply for a job in Novo Nordisk? Is the Graduate Programme really for me? What is it all really about?”

I probably won’t be able to answer all of your questions – but I can give you a bit of context and hopefully a bit of food for thought.

As a Business Processes Graduate, nearly half-way into my first rotation (WOW – time flies!), I want to share some of my initial experiences with you, but mostly talk about why I in the first place pursued a career in Novo Nordisk and why I chose to apply for the Business Processes Graduate programme.

So, first of all – who am I? I am 26 years old, grew up in Copenhagen and Melbourne, and did both my Bachelor and Master degree at Copenhagen Business School. During my studies, I travelled as much as possible, and did an exchange in Mexico City and Buenos Aires, and worked in Rwanda and Brazil. During the last years I have ventured into a lot of different areas – public, private and large international organisations. So – how did I end up in Novo Nordisk?

Why Novo Nordisk?
There are many reasons for why I am now working in Novo Nordisk, but I will share one (and probably the most) important reason with you. Not only is Novo Nordisk the world leader within diabetes care, but to me, Novo was a clear example of a company not only focusing on the financial bottom-line, but also on the social and environmental impact of its business; and essentially – to change the lives of people living with diabetes all around the world.

So, that all sounds really nice, but is it actually true you may wonder? To be honest, without knowing all of my more than 36.000 colleagues, I do feel that the people I meet around Novo Nordisk are here for the same reason – to make a difference for people living with diabetes in all parts of the world. And that makes going to work quite motivating.

Why the Business Processes Graduate Programme?
I think it is fair to say that I am very interested in – well, a lot of things. My choice of education clearly underlines that. I did a Bachelor in Business, Language and Culture – as I had a big interest in both business and international trade, but also a passion for culture and languages. Therefore, I really found my call when I first read about the Business Processes Graduate Programme.

During two years, you get to explore 3 completely different areas of the business – and you get to explore one of these areas in another country, anywhere in the world.

I am currently on my first rotation in Corporate Communications, where I mainly work with the business processes around communication, including a global strategy project I am the project manager of. That has included lots of presentations, exposure to very senior people and a few business trips. Sometimes it’s difficult to navigate around a huge company like Novo Nordisk- therefore I’m lucky to be part of a good team where we can brainstorm and challenge each other!

One of the great things about being a Graduate in Novo Nordisk is that you are part of a Graduate network cutting across the years. As Graduates are working in all corners of the organisation, it is a great way to get an understanding for what is going on outside your own department. The 2013 Business Processes Graduate group is working all around the organisation – e.g. in Quality, Product Supply and Marketing. This just goes to show that you can end up anywhere in Novo Nordisk as a Business Processes Graduate.

It seems like such a short time ago I was on the other side, dreaming of a Graduate position in Novo Nordisk. Now I am already 3.5 months into the programme, and so far it has definitely been exciting, challenging and rewarding.

My question to you now is…

Are you really up for the challenge?

Find out by reading more about the Business Graduate programmes: www.novonordisk.com/Global-Business-Graduate

Why apply for the Business Processes Graduate Programme in Novo Nordisk?, 3.7 out of 5 based on 7 ratings

17 Comments to Why apply for the Business Processes Graduate Programme in Novo Nordisk?

1. Posted December 16, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Permalink
    Parita says:

Dear Mia,

Thank you for the post. I am currently doing masters in General management in UK. I will complete my masters in June 2014. Can I apply for this program?

Also are international students from any country eligible to apply?

Thank once again and looking forward for your reply.

Kind regards,

Parita

2. Posted December 17, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Permalink
    Mia Petring Mia Petring says:

Dear Parita,

Thanks a lot for your comment.

Yes, you can definitely apply. The Graduate programme starts in September 2014, so you will have completed your Master’s degree by then.

We encourage people from any country to apply. The Graduate group is very diverse and we have Graduates from all over the world. Just as an example – in the Business Graduate group 2013 we are 10 Graduates with 8 different nationalities.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mia

3. Posted December 17, 2013 at 9:17 pm | Permalink
    Parita says:

Hi Mia,

Thank you so much for the reply. It is really nice and kind of you all who are helping the new applicants like me!

I have one problem. When I am clicking the apply button I am not able to see any link or webpage where I can start the application process.

Could you please guide me how should I tackle this?

Once again thank you for the advice and guidance on the blogs.

Kind regards,

Parita

4. Posted December 17, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Permalink
    Mia Petring Mia Petring says:

Dear Parita,

You’re welcome! I am very happy to hear that you find the blogs useful.

You can see an overview of all the Graduate Programmes here: http://www.novonordisk.com/careers/graduate/graduate-programmes_uk.asp?cid=graduate-blog-banner. Press on the Graduate Programme you want to apply for and you will find an “Apply now” button on the right side of the page.

If you want to apply for one of the Business Graduate programmes you can go directly to this page: http://www.novonordisk.com/careers/graduate/global-business.asp. Press “Apply now” and that will allow you to start the application process.

Let me know if you still have problems and good luck with your application.

Mia

5. Posted December 18, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink
    Parita says:

Dear Mia,

Thank you so much. The link opened finally and there was a pop-up problem. :)

One query is about the CV. Which format should I follow for the CV? Is it one which is particular one in Denmark? Like here in UK we don’t generally use photographs.

I am very much interested in the Business Processes program. So do you suggest any very important things to be included in the application? Do I have to get references from the lecturers/professors for my masters degree?

Once again thanks a lot.

Warm regards,

Parita

6. Posted December 19, 2013 at 4:39 am | Permalink
    Abhinav says:

Hello Mia,

I have completed my Master degree in 2010 in Business Administration and Marketing, till date I have less than 1 year experience. Can I apply for Global Marketing Graduate Programme.

Awaiting for your reply.

Abhinav

7. Posted December 19, 2013 at 9:54 am | Permalink
    Mia Petring Mia Petring says:

Dear Parita,

I’m happy to hear you solved the problem.

As we are recruiting internationally, there is not one specific CV format you should follow. I had a photo in my CV, but it’s very individual. I do recommend that you keep the length of your CV to max. 2 pages.

Recommendation letters are not required, though you are welcome to attach them. If you have some good and relevant recommendation letters, I suggest you attach them.

In relation to important things to be included in the application – that is not an easy question! If you look around the Graduate blog site, you will find many different pieces of good advice.
    3 quick tips from my side: 1) Keep your application to 1 page, 2) make it clear why you want to work for Novo Nordisk and why you have chosen the Business Processes programme, 3) avoid spelling mistakes and keep it as clear as possible.

Good luck!

Mia

8. Posted December 19, 2013 at 10:05 am | Permalink
    Mia Petring Mia Petring says:

Dear Abhinav,

If you have no more than 1 year of work experience since finishing your studies, you can apply. I would make it clear in your application why you have less than 1 year of experience if you finished in 2010.

Good luck with the application!

Mia

9. Posted December 19, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink
    Stefania says:

Hi Mia
    I had a 2 year experience after i got my bachelors degree, now that i graduated from my master studies, i have less than one. Can i or ca i not apply?
    thanks
    Steffi

10. Posted December 19, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Permalink
    Mia Petring Mia Petring says:

Dear Steffi,

Yes – as long as you have no more than 1 year work experience after completion of your Master’s degree you can apply.

Good luck with your application!

Mia

11. Posted December 20, 2013 at 7:39 am | Permalink
    Abhinav says:

Hi Mia,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply, I really appreciate.

Yes, I was trapped in my family business, Now I want to stand on my own ground. I guess better late than never.

Can we apply for multiple Graduate schemes in Novo Nordisk?

It seems in European Business Management Programme “You must master at least one of the following languages: German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Polish or Swedish”

and for International Business program you need to be citizen of Egypt, Indonesia, Mexico, Middle Africa (Kenya), Russia, South Africa, Turkey and Vietnam as it is mentioned on the Website. what about Business Processes Program as I am citizen of India and currently pursuing German language, what do you suggest ?

Abhinav

12. Posted December 22, 2013 at 10:38 am | Permalink
    Sudhakar Govindaraj says:

Dear Mia Petring

I have completed Maters in Advanced Computer Networking, the United Kingdom [Nov-2012] and I am very interested in this Graduate program. Am I eligible to apply for this position.

Please let me know.

Many Thanks,
    Sudhakar

13. Posted December 23, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Permalink
    Mia Petring Mia Petring says:

Dear Sudhakar,

If you have no more than 1 year of work experience after finishing your Master’s degree you can apply.

Hope that answers your question!

Mia

14. Posted December 30, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Permalink
    Mia Petring Mia Petring says:

Dear Abhinav,

Yes you are welcome to apply to more than one Graduate Programme, but you can only join the Graduate recruitment center (GRC) for one programme. If you are chosen for the GRC after the phone interview, the recruiters will let you know which programme they believe fit you best.

For the International Operations Business Graduate Programme, the recruitment process is a bit different and Novo Nordisk recruits locally. For the Business Processes Programme you can have any nationality – and it sounds as though you are very international, which definately is a plus!

Good luck with your application.

Mia

15. Posted January 9, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink
    konsh says:

i did not have Master’s degree but i take pro diploma in marketing and sales

16. Posted January 9, 2014 at 8:40 pm | Permalink
    Irina says:

Dear Mia,

I find your first blog post very interesting and helpful. I’m looking forward to your future rotation and next updating post.

I have however an uncertainty and I’d appreciate if you could help me out.

Concerning the ‘less than 1 year work experience’, am I still eligible in the program if I have no work experience at all, taking into consideration I have just graduated from my master degree in December 2013?

Kind regards,
    Irina

17. Posted January 14, 2014 at 12:23 am | Permalink
    Mia Petring Mia Petring says:

Hi Konsh,

You need a Master’s degree in order to apply for the Graduate programmes.

Mia