What is Business Processes???

Category: Business Processes | 13 comments

Hi everyone!

Welcome to my first blog post! I hope, through this blog and future ones, I’ll be able to give you some useful insights, hints, and information about the graduate programme at Novo Nordisk. I just started the graduate programme and my first rotation in September 2013 and will be one of bloggers representing the Business Processes programme this year.

What is Business Processes? What does it mean?
When I was applying for the graduate programme last year and was going through information about the different tracks of the programme, I found it a bit difficult distinguishing between Business Processes, European Business Management, and Global Marketing – I guess some of you may feel the same. Let me start by talking very briefly about the key differences of the two programmes – European Business Management and Global Marketing.

The Global Marketing programme is specifically tailored for marketing-interested individuals, as all three rotations will be within marketing with the second one being abroad anywhere in the world, and the third being a sales rotation. For the European Business Management programme, the rotations could be in marketing or business-related areas with the second rotation being abroad but within Europe. In addition to that, there is also the International Operations Business Programme which is based in (and recruited out of) certain Novo Nordisk affiliates (read more about the programme here).  So in this programme, candidates are recruited locally  and start their first rotations in the local (home) affiliate. The second rotation is placed in headquarters in Denmark, and the last rotation is spent in a Business Area. For more information, check out our International Operations graduate bloggers: Bruno (Brazil), Mouna (Algeria), and Vicky (Colombia)!

In the Business Processes programme, graduates could be placed in any department within the organization during the three rotations – making it the most general of the graduate tracks (currently for the 2013 Business Processes graduates, we are working in Global Marketing, New Product Planning, Quality, Product Supply, and Corporate Communications). Additionally, the focus of the programme is global and thus graduates can be sent to any location in the world during their second rotation.

What ‘profile’ would suit the Business Processes programme, and why did I choose it?
I am a generalist. I am interested in a variety of different things and like to have and take a broad perspective. Also, prior to applying to the graduate programme, I did not have any experience within the pharmaceutical industry and therefore couldn’t decide in which area I want to work in (if it’s really within marketing or not… although my background is within marketing). I wanted to experience different areas, departments, and working environments before making a decision about what I wanted to do. These are the reasons why I applied for the graduate programme and why I chose the Business Processes track.

If you are in a similar situation, slightly indecisive and want to take on a variety of experiences and have the flexibility of exploring different areas in the organization, take a look at the Business Processes programme – it could be the one for you!

Want to know more? Comment below or drop me an email!

Cheers and best of luck!!

On

What is Business Processes??? , 4.7 out of 5 based on 3 ratings

13 Comments to What is Business Processes???

1. Posted December 21, 2013 at 8:22 am | Permalink
    Aditya says:

Hi On,

Great post! As I was exploring the options available in the graduate program at Novo the Business Processes and the Marketing programs are the ones that I didn’t understand the difference in. Your post really helped clarify some of the doubt I had.

I understand that the program looks for people with an international outlook. What other factors are important for Novo? What is the culture like and as a potential applicant what should I consider as the most important fit for the organization? Also, how flexible is the program and how are the rotations decided? Some more light on the way the program is administered would be very insightful!

Thanks a lot again,
    Aditya

2. Posted December 22, 2013 at 11:13 pm | Permalink
    On On says:

Hi Aditya,

Thanks a lot for your comment, I’m happy to hear that you found it helpful :)

Generally, I would say that teamwork, open-mindedness, and a genuine interest to work towards improving the lives of people are the elements that are taken into consideration, amongst others. Of course there are some ‘hard skills’ such as having a Master’s degree and less than 1 year work experience (this applies for the graduate programme). The culture at Novo Nordisk is very open, flat, and patient-focused. For more information about the culture at Novo Nordisk, check out the Novo Nordisk Way – which describes what Novo Nordisk values, and the way we work and approach business: http://www.novonordisk.com/about_us/novo_nordisk_way/nnway_essentials.asp

For the first rotation, as a graduate you do not have much say in where you are placed. Which makes sense, since you do not know your preferences or the organization yet. However, for the second and third rotations you can discuss with your programme manager about your priorities and preferences. It is not guaranteed that you will be able to determine 100% your rotations, but that’s what makes the graduate programme great: opportunities and flexibility!

Good luck!
    On

3. Posted December 23, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Permalink
    Aditya says:

Hey On,

Thanks a lot! That helps. I was precisely looking for experience that allows me to explore different verticals of a business before choosing one to pursue.

I have 3 years of EU Healthcare sales and marketing consulting experience after my undergraduate but I am currently doing my MBA in India and will complete the same by April 2014. I think I fit into the criteria for work experience requirements.

My experience in other domains is limited and thats precisely why I consider the business process program a better fit for me. In your opinion is there anything specific that I should consider before applying to Novo?

Thanks,
    Aditya

4. Posted December 25, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink
    On On says:

Hi Aditya,

I was just in contact with our programme manager, and depending on the nature of your prior experience, you may not be eligible for the graduate programme (since one of the requirements is less than 1 year of work experience). You are welcome to apply in any case, but we suggest you to also look into permanent positions at http://www.novonordisk.com/careers/default_uk.asp

Good luck!
    On

5. Posted December 26, 2013 at 8:19 pm | Permalink
    Jevgenij says:

Hey On,

Thanks for your interesting post. I am thinking of applying to Novo Nordisk graduate programme, however, in order to be eligible for it I have to have less than 1 year of prior work experience (as it says on the website – “you have no more than one year of work experience”). Do you know if it means less than 1 year of RELEVANT work experience (for instance, if I apply for business processes – marketing experience or if I apply to finance – financial experience) or absolutely any kind of work experience, even as a sales assistant, for example?
    I really hope it means less than 1 year of relevant work experience :) Anyway, thank you very much for your answer in advance.

Kind regards,
    Jevgenij

6. Posted December 29, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Permalink
    Louise Brink Thomsen says:

Dear On.

I am very pleased with your clarification in terms of the difference between the programs, since I am in the same situation as you are were last year.

Hopefully you can help me further clarify some differences, in order to help me identify the best program fit.

I am very interested in working with business model development – in terms of thinking differently about care and accommodating this in the Novo business model. I guess that this relates to thinking differently about potential Novo offerings and ways to reach patients. – Preferably on a global level. I therefore see myself being fit for working within a combination of Global Marketing and New Product Planning.

In this regard, do you have any suggestion to if the business processes program is the right fit for me?

Do you have any idea about how it will be perceived, if I chose to apply for all three programs?

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
    Louise

7. Posted January 2, 2014 at 10:22 am | Permalink
    On On says:

Hi Jevgenij,

Thank you for your comment.

In order to be sure, I have contacted our programme manager for clarification. With regards to the ‘work experience’ criteria for applying to the graduate programme, we consider total work experience (not just relevant work experience).

On

8. Posted January 2, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink
    On On says:

Hi Louise,

That’s great that you already have an idea about which areas you are interested in! Of course with the graduate programme, you have to have a degree of flexibility, but having an idea would help you tailor your experience better :)

If you are interested on working at a global level, then I would suggest that you consider either the Global Marketing or Business Processes programmes because they have a global scope. Keep in mind that Global Marketing is solely focused on marketing, with the last rotation being in sales – so I am not sure if this would ‘fit’ with your interests – but it is a valuable experience nonetheless! You could definitely fit with the Business Processes programme since you would be able to experience different parts of the organization (also outside marketing) that could be helpful in your interest in business development.

I cannot say for certain how it will be perceived, but different people will be screening your application for the different programmes, so I don’t think you should be concerned about that (I don’t think it will play a role). The challenge is to develop three unique (tailored and specific) applications. If you have a strong case, then go for it!

Good luck!
    On

9. Posted January 24, 2014 at 6:32 am | Permalink
    Danny Nguyen says:

Dear On,

Thank for distinguishing the difference between the programs! I had a lot of questions when comparing the programs for the past few months so I really appreciate your post and clarification between the programs.

I’m a PharmD/MBA graduating in May 2014 from the University of Southern California. I feel like the business processes program is the best fit for me so far. I was wondering was kinds of roles graduates who have completed the business process program are currently in now. Do graduates of the program typically stay in one of the three areas they have rotated in?

Danny Nguyen

10. Posted January 27, 2014 at 1:02 am | Permalink
    Maria Stenquist says:

Hi On!

Thanks for your informative post. I have a quick question regarding to whom I should address my cover letter for the Business Processes programme.

I would very much appreciate it if you can pass along the name of the Business Processes Programme Manager, if you are able to.

Or, is it better to address the Programme Director, Ove Munch Ovesen instead?

Thanks for your help On!

Cheers,

Maria

11. Posted January 27, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink
    On On says:

Hi Danny,

It really depends on your interests. There are a couple of former grads in Global Marketing … it’s a bit difficult for me to answer as I am not at that stage yet :) But I would guess that graduates would end up in a position that is somehow linked to their rotations – at least that’s what I think I would do. Unless of course, you learn through your rotations that you are interested in another area :)

On

12. Posted January 27, 2014 at 2:59 pm | Permalink
    On On says:

Hi Maria,

If I remember correctly, I think I addressed my cover letter ‘To whom it may concern’ – as it may not be Ove (our programme manager) who will read the application (it could be someone else). By the way, Ove is the programme manager for Business Processes, Global Marketing, and European Business Management tracks :)

On

13. Posted January 27, 2014 at 10:48 pm | Permalink
    Danny Nguyen says:

Dear On,

Thank you for the explanation. It is very helpful.

Danny Nguyen