Passion is Key

Category: R&D Regulatory Affairs | 8 comments

Hi All,

I recently sat down with the other 2013 Novo Nordisk Regulatory Affairs Graduate, Sascha, to talk about some of the things he has been doing as a graduate. We had actually recorded the discussion, but due to some technical difficulties I was unable to post the video. However, I at least wanted to post some highlights on what we discussed .

In the Regulatory Affairs Graduate Programme, you will have the opportunity to spend two rotations within RA, but also one rotation outside of RA (such as within global development or quality). It is a unique and great opportunity to branch out and learn even more about Novo Nordisk as a company and learn about how, as an RA professional, you can harness all of the resources that are within the framework of the company. In some cases, such as Sascha’s, you may even have your first rotation outside of Regulatory Affairs! I think this highlights the necessity of graduates to be flexible and responsive to any and every experience presented.

Sascha and I talked about having such a first rotation opportunity, along with other things:

Mark: What has your first rotation been about?

Sascha: My first rotation has been within Global Development, where I have worked as a medical writer putting together clinical documents (among other things) that are used for submissions to health authorities. While unusual to start my RA career outside of RA, it has been very interesting and I know that it will prepare me to be an even more productive RA professional for the future.

Mark: What are your thoughts on how to put together a good Regulatory Affairs Graduate application?

Mark/Sascha: There is no underselling the importance of being passionate about Novo Nordisk and Regulatory Affairs. Do your research on both the company and the career field and determine what parts of both really excite you. Ensure that you reflect on those excitements within your cover letter. As much as possible, demonstrate your passion and enthusiasm in the way you write your cover letter (while also keeping it professional, so no exclamation points!).

Mark: How has it been coming to Denmark?

Mark/Sascha: With moving to a new country having a global mind-set is key. Understanding that there will be differences, and being willing to embrace those changes, are absolutely necessary. At the same time, Copenhagen (as well as the whole of Denmark) is a welcoming and fantastic place with a very diverse population and lots of happy people.

Be sure to read all of the other graduate blogs for more insight to the entirety of the graduate programme, as well as for information on putting together a quality application.

I hope everyone has had a very happy holidays and good luck to all in 2014!

-Mark

Passion is Key , 4.5 out of 5 based on 2 ratings

8 Comments to Passion is Key

1. Posted January 14, 2014 at 11:03 pm | Permalink
    Vikram says:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for a great blog and hope you are doing well in the graduate program. I am seeking clarification about eligibility and hope you can help.

I’ve been in academic biomedical research for the past 4 years since finishing my MSc and am very much interested in RA.

Could you please let me know if I can apply for the graduate program? I know that PhD holders are eligible but not sure about my background.

Thank you for your time.

Vikram

2. Posted January 15, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink
    Mark Mark says:

Hi Vikram,

Thanks for your well wishes and your interest.

You are right, PhD applicants are eligible. However, keep in mind that you should be clear in your motivation/cover letter why you want/are switching from research to industry.

In short, your background is appropriate for this program.

Mark

3. Posted January 15, 2014 at 8:34 pm | Permalink
    Vikram says:

Thanks for the clarification Mark.

4. Posted January 16, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink
    Maeve says:

Hi Mark,
    From your blog post I understand that you moved to Denmark for the graduate programme? I too am keen to gain experience outside of my home country,are there many international people on these graduate programmes? I imagine English is the main language you work through in Novo Nordisk? Are you learning Danish outside of work and how is that?

5. Posted January 16, 2014 at 7:47 pm | Permalink
    Mark Mark says:

Hi Maeve,

That is correct, I moved to Denmark from the US. One of the driving forces behind the graduate programme is to attract international talent. So while not everyone is international, there are a substantial amount of people who are.

English is the corporate language. However, it is still a Danish company and therefore there are many Danes, and they do speak their native language. I am taking Danish lessons (which has been fun and challenging), but it is very easy to get around greater Copenhagen speaking only English.

Good luck,
    Mark

6. Posted January 28, 2014 at 6:16 pm | Permalink
    Shaik wasim says:

Hi Mark,
    That’s great work you are doing to help people to get into the Graduate Program and it is appreciable. I would like to know if we prefer to apply for the Regulatory Affairs program, Whom we should address the cover letter? Is it Mr. Jacob Walter or someone else.

7. Posted January 28, 2014 at 8:50 pm | Permalink
    Mark Mark says:

Hi Shaik,

Yes, it is fine to address the cover letter to Jakob Wolter.

Good luck,
    Mark

8. Posted April 1, 2014 at 6:15 am | Permalink

You can definitely see your expertise within the paintings you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. Always go after your heart. “Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others.” by Sir Winston Leonard Spenser Churchill.