Video: Tips and tricks for your application

Category: Business Processes | 35 comments

Hi all,

The deadline for applying to the Graduate Programmes is approaching and I have received a number of comments and emails about tips and tricks for what to write in the application for the Business Processes Graduate Programme. If you do a bit of online research on the Graduate blog-site, you will come across quite a few blogs that address this issue. You can read some great posts about this by former graduate bloggers here, here and here, and also by current Graduate bloggers Klaus and On.

I found many of these blog posts useful when I was making my application last year, so now I want to share some of my best tips for writing a good application, as well as the view of Ove, head of the Graduate programmes.

How to write a good application

Writing a good application is a rather subjective and complex issue. If you talk to 5 different people, they will probably have 5 different views on what a good application is. However, here is some of my best advice for making a good application…

1) Make it clear why you want to work for Novo Nordisk – do your research about the company, there is a wealth of information online. Read about the company’s culture in form of the Novo Nordisk Way
2) Make it clear why you want to apply for the Business Processes Graduate Programme – why would you like this job and why is this specific programme the right one for you?
3) Emphasize how you can contribute to the company
4) Make a clear common thread in your application – your cover letter and CV should go hand in hand
5) Read your application through carefully and avoid spelling mistakes
6) There is no rule about this, but less is more – keep your cover letter limited to 1 page and CV to 2 pages
7) Most importantly – be yourself and let your personality shine through in your application

I was also lucky enough to get an interview with Ove, head of the Graduate Programmes. If you press on the video below, you will get some insights into what he thinks a good application is.

Good luck with your applications and remember to apply before 9 February 2014. Click here to select your programme and apply: www.novonordisk.com/graduates

Video: Tips and tricks for your application, 4.1 out of 5 based on 19 ratings

35 Comments to Video: Tips and tricks for your application

1. Posted January 23, 2014 at 9:53 pm | Permalink
    Alejandro Gamez says:

Hi Mia,

Thanks for sharing with us such a great advice. Having being raised in Latin America, I feel really identified with Novo Nordisk genuine interest in improving people´s health in emerging countries.

I wonder whether you can share with us a little bit more about the final placement of the programme, after graduation. Are people encouraged to become part of the global, regional or country management teams? How do you get assigned to your final placement function (marketing, supply, finance)?

Thanks in advance for your time and support.

Alejandro Gamez

2. Posted January 24, 2014 at 6:13 am | Permalink
    Danny Nguyen says:

Dear Mia,

Thank you for sharing your insights, interviewing Ove, and providing valuable tips and tricks for our applications. I’m currently a PharmD/MBA graduating in May 2014 at the University of Southern California and wanted to ask you about your experiences so far in the program. I’m a generalist but have an interest in doing sales as one of the rotations (i.e. field sales). During the second rotation, is there an opportunity and is it recommended for business process graduates to do a sales rotation? Which rotation are you currently in now?

Danny Nguyen

3. Posted January 26, 2014 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Dear Alejandro,

Thanks for your comment.

Are you referring to what happens after the Graduate programme? After finalizing the programme, you have to apply for a job – you won’t get assigned a job automatically. The type of job varies greatly, but some examples include a position as Executive Assistant, project manager or global product manager. You can also read more on this blog by a former graduate here.

I hope this answers your question, if not please let me know.

4. Posted January 26, 2014 at 10:13 pm | Permalink
    haiyan says:

Dear Mir,
    Thanks a lot for your helpful blog. I’m really interested in this Graduate Programmes and would like to prepare my applycation. However, I have to ask you for the permission in term of my special situation. I did not just get my master degree,but also a Doctor degree. I’m a Doctor of agriculture. I graduated in 02,2013. Now I worked as a posdoctor in Germany. Yes, I dont have too much business background, but I keep learning economics,management,finance for quite long. You could see my will now,right? Even as a Doctor, I still deeply want to turn to business work. Based on my situation, am I allowed to apply? Would you please give me some advices? I’ll appreciate it very much.

5. Posted January 26, 2014 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Dear Danny,

I’m happy you enjoyed the video.

I am currently on my first rotation in Corporate Communications. I have a great variety of tasks, among others managing a global strategy project.

During the three rotations you will work with three very different areas of the business. There are no fixed rotations as such on the Business Processes programme, but it is definitely possible to do a rotation within sales and marketing. In the Global Marketing programme, sales is a fixed part of the programme. Read more about the different programmes here: http://www.novonordisk.com/careers/graduate/graduate-programmes-overview_uk.asp

I hope this answers your questions, if not feel free to contact me again.

6. Posted January 26, 2014 at 11:23 pm | Permalink
    Katarina says:

Hey Mia!

Thanks a lot for this post and video.

I have one question, how does the selection process look like?

Thanks, Katarina

7. Posted January 27, 2014 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Dear Katarina,

I’m happy you enjoyed the post.

If you make it through the first round, you are invited to a skype/phone interview. You are then invited to take a test online, and invited to the Graduate Recruitment Center (2 days) in Copenhagen at the beginning of April.

8. Posted January 27, 2014 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Dear Haiyan,

To join the business programmes you must hold a master’s degree in the field of Business, for example within Economics, Management, International Business, Marketing. With your educational background, you may want to consider one of the other programmes, e.g. Regulatory Affairs. Read more about the different programmes here: http://www.novonordisk.com/graduates

Moreover, you should not have more than 1 year of work experience since finishing your studies. If you do, you may want to consider applying for a permanent position.

Hope this answers your question.

9. Posted January 27, 2014 at 8:14 pm | Permalink
    Meg-Anne Lagrève says:

Dear Mia,

I am applying to the Global Marketing program, and I was wondering if the lack of experiences within medical field was an important issue for my application?

I have several experiences in marketing departements, but not in the pharmaceutical area… Do you know if all graduates have pharmaceutical backgrounds?

Thanks in advance for your answer!

And sorry for keeping you busy :)

Meg-Anne

10. Posted January 27, 2014 at 9:13 pm | Permalink
    Jaida Friis says:

Dear Mia,

Thank you for your inspirational posts and useful tips!

I am completing my application for the business processes programme and have a practical question, I hope you can help me with.

I will graduate from Copenhagen Business School this spring. I have taken an international master degree, which means that my grade transcript is in English, however, my grades follows the Danish 7-point grading scale. Will I have to get this translated?

Another thing: Would you advice me to only include the grade transcript from my master degree or also my bachelor degree, semesters abroad etc?

Thank you very much!

Sincerely, Jaida

11. Posted January 27, 2014 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

Dear Meg-Anne,

No it is not necessary, though it can of course be an advantage to have some experience within the field.

I didn’t have experience within the pharma industry prior to joining Novo Nordisk.

12. Posted January 27, 2014 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Dear Jaida,

I’m happy that you enjoyed my posts!

No, you do not need to translate your grade transcript from Copenhagen Business School. However, I also graduated from CBS, and on my transcript the grades were automatically translated into the international grading scale.

You only need to attach your latest grade transcript – but if you have other transcripts you find relevant I would also include these.

13. Posted January 28, 2014 at 1:26 pm | Permalink
    Eric Wang says:

Dear Mia,

Thank you for your blog.

I am interested applying for the Business Processes Programme. I was wondering who I should address my cover letter and recommendation to? Is there a specific person or department that I should address these letters to? Thank you!

Eric

14. Posted January 28, 2014 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Dear Eric,

You don’t have to address the cover letter to a specific person, but if you want to, you can address the cover letter to Ove Munch Ovesen, head of the Graduate programmes.

If I remember correctly, I didn’t address my cover letter to anyone specific.

Good luck with your application!

15. Posted January 29, 2014 at 9:23 am | Permalink
    Sanjitkumar Vaghel says:

Hello Mia,

Hope you find this message in a good health & spirit!

I was waiting for last one year to apply for Global Marketing Manager Graduate Programme.

Mean while i have taken 1 year of work experience as a Head- Hr & Strategic Marketing and also earned two gold Medal during my Post Graduation in Management.

Looking forward for your suggestion regarding all the necessary documents that i must attach with my application when applying online.

Thank you Very Much for your extended support.

Sanjit Kumar Vaghel

16. Posted January 30, 2014 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Dear Sanjit,

Thanks for your comment.

The only requirement in addition to your CV and cover letter is a scanned copy of your latest grade transcript. However, you can also attach other relevant documents – e.g. other transcripts or recommendations you think are suitable to include.

I wish you the best of luck with your application.

17. Posted January 30, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink
    Sanjitkumar Vaghel says:

18. Posted February 2, 2014 at 4:55 pm | Permalink
    Grecia says:

Dear Mia,

Thank you for so much information.

I am currently finishing my MBA and I am wondering the following. In your post of Jan 27th it says “you should not have more than 1 year of work experience since finishing your studies. If you do, you may want to consider applying for a permanent position.”. Is the work experience strictly after finishing the studies?. I have worked for 4 years in external audit (pre-MBA), and now with my Masters I want to get more into the business and operations of the company. I have also seen other experienced people applying to the program. Is there any restriction?

Thank you!

19. Posted February 4, 2014 at 12:47 am | Permalink
    Tinh-Son Nguyen Sultan says:

Dear Mia and observers,

Thank you so much for your comments. I really enjoy this blog. good luck to everyone for his/her application! hope to see you there.

Tinh-Son

20. Posted February 5, 2014 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Dear Grecia,

Thanks for your comment.

The 1 year work experience is after finishing your Masters degree. So if you have recently finished your Masters (or will in the next 7 months), you can apply. However, if you have a lot of experience you may also want to go for a permanent position, where it might better suit your skills and expectations. Check out the many possibilities at http://www.novonordisk.com/job.

Hope that clarifies you question.

21. Posted February 5, 2014 at 5:35 pm | Permalink
    Nikhil says:

Hello Mia,

A question about the Cover letter:

Does the cover letter have to be in the form of an actual letter? or does it have to be like an essay?,
    if like a letter : to whom should the letter be addressed and is it ok to exceed the length of the 1 page?

22. Posted February 6, 2014 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Dear Nikhil,

Yes, it should be written like a letter and should preferably not exceed 1 page.

23. Posted February 6, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink
    reshma says:

Hello Mia,
    I am Reshma, fresher M.pharmacy (pharmacology) graduate.I am looking forward to apply for the graduate program(regulatory affairs) in Novo nordisk.I request you to kindly guide me how to apply, where to send my CV, cover letter and transcript.
    Thanking you,

Regards
    Reshma

24. Posted February 6, 2014 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Dear Reshma,

Click here to select your programme and apply: http://www.novonordisk.com/graduates.

You need to upload the different documents when you apply online.

25. Posted February 7, 2014 at 2:35 am | Permalink
    Rama says:

Hi Mia
    I have a technical question, is it a problem if I send my application as a word file? and is that the way you receive it for evaluation? I uploaded my application and the preview seemed Ok,but I am afraid that the tracking change property might still appear and make reading the application troublesome.

26. Posted February 7, 2014 at 5:33 am | Permalink
    Sanjitkumar Vaghel says:

Dear Mia,

I have applied for The Global Marketing graduate programme by unsolicited application.

While uploading latest grade transcript, an error shows that file extension is wrong.

Please guide further.

Warm Regards,
    Sanjitkumar Vaghel

27. Posted February 7, 2014 at 5:43 am | Permalink
    Sanjitkumar Vaghel says:

Dear Mia,

Greetings!

Finally I got the link and applied for The Global Marketing graduate programme.

Warm Regards,
    Sanjitkumar Vaghel

28. Posted February 7, 2014 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Dear Rama,

Yes – you can upload your cover letter as a word file, but uploading it as a PDF is probably the safest and smartest choice. Also, you should keep an eye out for the size of your file.

Good luck finishing your application!

29. Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:27 am | Permalink
    Mekdelawit says:

Hi, thanks for the insites you gave me. I am a recent masters graduate of pharmaceutical science from Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia. Right after I finished my study there, I came to US(With greencard). So, now I want to apply at Novo Nordisk.
    So, my question is, to which of the programs shall I apply. Do u think that graduates with educational backgrouds other than Europe and USA are going to be considered?
    Ow by the way, I had 4 years of experience in health care, and some university teaching experiences too.
    I hope, you will answer these question for me soon, as the deadline is almost there.

30. Posted February 9, 2014 at 12:17 am | Permalink
    ZiCheng says:

Dear Mia,

I hope you have a nice weekend.

I am really sorry to intrude here but I’ve got troubles opening the link of ‘application’. It’s really depressing to watch the time went by as I refreshed and refreshed, again and again, but could not open the webpage and was constantly directed back…

Do you have any recommendation in terms of what I should do?? I use mac iOS and wonder if it was the problem.

Novo is my dream company. I have read all your blogs and made detailed notes and have every document required at hand. All I need is a webpage that functions properly…

Thank you a lot in advance!

ZiCheng

31. Posted February 9, 2014 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Dear ZiCheng,

That does sound frustrating. It should not make a difference whether you have a Mac or PC. Which Graduate Programme do you want to apply for? For the Business Processes programme, here is the direct job link: https://xjobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_jobdetail.asp?partnerid=25067&siteid=5013&jobid=29970

32. Posted February 9, 2014 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Dear Mekdelawit,

With your background, I think you should apply for the Regulatory Affairs graduate programme. To join this programme “you must hold a master’s degree in a natural science, for example within pharmacy, chemical engineering, biology, biotechnology or a related field.” All nationalities are considered, but it is required that you have an excellent command of both spoken and written English. You can read more about the programme here: http://www.novonordisk.com/careers/graduate/r-and-d-regulatory-affairs_uk.asp

Remember there is only 12 hours left to apply in!

Good luck.

33. Posted February 9, 2014 at 6:35 pm | Permalink
    Deppy says:

Hej Mia,

Thank you very much for you posts! They are very helpful.

I have one minor question. You mentioned Ove Munch Ovesen, Head of the Graduate Programmes, as the person our cover letters are to be addressed to.

Do you know also the Novo Nordisk address that should be included in the cover letter?

Thanks in advance,
    Deppy

34. Posted February 9, 2014 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

Hi Deppy,

You don’t have to address the cover letter to a specific person. I have mentioned that if you would like to address your Business Processes application to someone, you are welcome to address it to Ove Munch Ovesen, Head of the Graduate Programmes. Moreover, as you will be uploading your application electronically you don’t have to write Novo Nordisk’s physical address.

Good luck with uploading your application! Remember there is only 2 hours left to do so.

35. Posted February 9, 2014 at 10:01 pm | Permalink