Category: Business Processes | 14 comments

“A lot of different things,” I would be tempted to say. It is not an easy question to answer, but as it is probably a question many of you have at the top of your minds, I will try to answer it seen from my perspective in this blog post.

As you have probably heard by now, there is no fixed recipe attached to being a Business Processes Graduate. The three rotations are based on your personal profile, and can vary greatly in relation to the nature of the tasks and the area of the company you will be working in. One thing that does seem to be consistent though, is that Graduates get tasks that require a large degree of responsibility and get to manage their own projects. That means you are often pushed to leave your comfort zone and the learning curve is therefore very steep.

During my first rotation, I am working on many different projects, but the main project I am working on and also managing on a daily basis is a global strategy project. My task has been to take lead in designing a global strategy process for communication, roll out a pilot in different parts of the organisation, and give my recommendations for how to improve the process going forward. As you can imagine, a global project involves many different people, and my most important task is therefore to navigate around the complex business and manage a lot of different stakeholders, entailing a large number of meetings and presentations. This is the most exciting, but at the the same time also the most challenging part of the project.

As part of the project, I recently organised a strategy workshop, where 40 people were gathered to kick off the process. To help facilitate the different sessions, a number of Managers and strategy experts from Marketing joined us. In the picture below you see Victoria – Global Project Manager (and earlier European Business Management Graduate), Wei – Global Marketing Director (and earlier Business Processes Graduate) and myself discussing the outcome from one of the workshop sessions.

From left to right: Victoria, Wei and myself

From left to right: Victoria, Wei and myself

I won’t go into more detail with this project now, but this is just to show that as a Graduate you will get a lot of responsibility, but a lot is also expected from you; both academically and people-wise, as you will have to work with many different people from many different cultures – both organizational and geographically.

If you have a recent master degree and think that the above sounds like something you would enjoy, I think you should hurry up and write your application. Deadline is just around the corner – 9 February 2014.

Click here to select your programme and apply: www.novonordisk.com/graduates.

Insights from a current Graduate: What do you actually do as a Business Processes Graduate?, 3.7 out of 5 based on 3 ratings

14 Comments to Insights from a current Graduate: What do you actually do as a Business Processes Graduate?

1. Posted February 4, 2014 at 10:51 pm | Permalink
    Luc A. Lepandou says:

Hey Mia!… I trust that this message finds you well. I’m interested in applying to some of Novo Nordisk graduate programs. While I fulfill all the basic requirements, I can’t help but wonder whether I might be too old to be considered for admission.
    So: how much of a limiting factor would my age – I’m turning 38 this coming September – prove to be?

Thanks again for taking the time to address my concern on such short notice!

– Luc

2. Posted February 5, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Permalink
    Inci Omercikoglu inci says:

very informative ! You have explained your project which sounds great !
    Best regards
    inci

3. Posted February 5, 2014 at 2:27 pm | Permalink
    Mia Petring Mia Petring says:

Dear Luc,

Thanks a lot for your interest in the Graduate programmes!

I guess you have many years of experience, so you may find it much more relevant to look for a permanent position in the organisation. I suggest you explore the possibilities at http://www.novonordisk.com/job and hook-up with our career agent. We hire approximately 5.000 new employees per year so there are plenty of opportunities.

Mia

4. Posted February 7, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Permalink
    Simona says:

Hi Mia,

I am trying to apply for the Business Processes Programme on the website, but I keep on receiving an error. I have checked with different browsers, different operating systems, and from different locations and the result has been the same.

Can you please let me know whether this is only my problem, and where I could thus upload my application?

I would appreciate an answer at your earliest convenience.

All the best,
    Simona

5. Posted February 8, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink
    Anders says:

Hi Mia,

I have a question regarding the deadline. I have found the information on the date to be somewhat ambiguous.

Is it ON the 9th of February (like before midnight, 9th of February) or before the 9th of February (meaning the 8th of february at midnight) ?

Thanks in advance.

6. Posted February 9, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink
    Mia Petring Mia Petring says:

Dear Simona,

We were unfortunately experiencing some technical problems on Friday. I hope you have managed to upload your application by now.

If not, here is a direct link to the Business Processes application page: https://xjobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_jobdetail.asp?partnerid=25067&siteid=5013&jobid=29970

Mia

7. Posted February 9, 2014 at 12:05 pm | Permalink
    Mia Petring Mia Petring says:

Dear Anders,

Deadline is midnight ON the 9th of February, so you still have a few hours to apply!

Mia

8. Posted February 11, 2014 at 11:55 am | Permalink
    Tristan Wagemans says:

Dear Mia,

I did send in my application on Sunday but didn’t have access to my latest grade transcript at the time of the deadline (thanks to the ponderous administration of my university).
    I do have the transcript now and was wondering if I could still upload or send the file in somehow?

Tristan

9. Posted February 14, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink
    Erik Araiza Villarreal says:

Hello my friend,
    I really found very interesting your process and project, congratulations.
    By the moment am in the selection process I really hope good things come out, because im really looking forward for this type of progrmme!
    For the other hand, i would like to ask you if there are any mexicans involved currently on the programme? I want to see the possibilities a latino can have to stay inside. If there re not mexicans, be sure I would be the first one…

Thanks for share your experience, have a nice day =)

10. Posted February 14, 2014 at 10:39 pm | Permalink
    Diana Rosales says:

Dear Mia,

I just have to say that this information has given me a closer insight into how it is to be there. I have already applied and I hope that I can make it because it sounds like the job of my dreams.

The best for you and your project.

Diana

11. Posted February 15, 2014 at 10:14 am | Permalink
    Mia Petring Mia Petring says:

Dear Tristan,

Unfortunately it is not possible to upload any files after you have submitted your application. However, if you uploaded your latest grade transcript at the time of application, that should be fine!

Mia

12. Posted February 15, 2014 at 10:26 am | Permalink
    Mia Petring Mia Petring says:

Dear Erik,

Thanks for your comment.

There is currently a Mexican on the Product Supply Graduate programme, but we also have a number of other Graduates from Central- and South America in the graduate programmes, including Brazil and Colombia. You can read about Vicky from Colombia on her blog here, Bruno from Brazil here and Rafael from Brazil here.

Mia

13. Posted February 15, 2014 at 10:27 am | Permalink
    Mia Petring Mia Petring says:

Dear Diana,

Thanks for your kind words. Good luck!

Mia

14. Posted February 27, 2014 at 10:01 am | Permalink
    Juan Recinos Jensen says:

Kære Mia,
    Thanks a lot for sharing your “inside knowledge” about, how you are experiencing the Novo Nordisk world.
    In other blogs, people mentioned that the age is not an issue, if you have finished your Master degree within the last year. You wrote to Luc that if he had a lot of experiences, you will recommend him applying to a permanent position. I am also close to 39, but finished my Master degree last summer (2013), and of course a have some experience, before finishing my degree, but I got recently my Master degree. I was wondering, what´s your opinion about that? Do I have a change?
    Secondly, you wrote as well to Erik that in the Programs are some “latinos” from Central- and South America, mentioning Mexico, Colombia and Brazil, but from Central America, do you know anyone? (Guatemala to Panamá)
    Med venlig hilsen