firstly, my wishes for a great 2017! Last time I promised to write about Biostatistics Graduate life in Novo Nordisk. This week I had lunch with my dear colleague Simon, also a Biostatistics Graduate, and talked about the everyday routines and tasks. Here’s our discussion:
Evangelos: Simon, can you take us through your average day at work?
Simon: Sure! So for example, last Friday I started the day with a short breakfast together with my department. It’s a nice way to talk and get to know your colleagues, and hear what they do. After breakfast I prepared some slides for a meeting regarding sample size for a clinical trial. As you know, when conducting a trial it is necessary to include a sufficient number of subjects in order to ensure that the trial results are statistically significant.
So, you were involved in the planning of the trial?
Yes. As a Biostatistician I have various tasks not only in the analysis of the data but also in the planning of the trials as well as understanding the results. For example we review documents necessary for the initiation and conduction of the trial and also try to ensure the best quality of our data. All that in collaboration with medical specialists, programmers and other stakeholders.
I think that’s a very interesting part of the job. After your sample calculations what did you do?
Oh, won’t you let me eat my lunch? After preparing the slides, I attended a course on missing data. As a GD Graduate in Novo Nordisk, you attend a lot of training and courses in the first months of your employment. In this particular course I learned about various statistical tools for estimating the potential impact of missing data on clinical trial results. This is a very important issue for us. Imagine a trial where 40% of the subjects drop out, but the remaining 60% have amazing results. Is your trial a success? If you don’t include the drop-outs in your calculations, you will get biased results.
Ok. Take a minute for some bites and then tell me what else did you spend your day on?
After the course, I spent the remaining hour creating a couple of tables and plots for a scientific journal. I work closely with various stakeholders when deciding how to illuminate our results, and it’s our task to create the tables and plots we present. Next week I will be on a business trip in one of our affiliates to work on that.
That sounds nice! So, last question, in general how would you describe Graduate life as a Biostatistician in Novo Nordisk?
I enjoy it! I like working in Biostatistics, my colleagues are great and I feel that I contribute to the goals of the department and the company.
Well, Simon, thank you very much for sharing your thoughts with me and our readers. I will let you enjoy your lunch now and will see you around!
Thanks Evangelos! See you around!
That’s it for now from GD Graduates! Next time, I will present more skill areas and give you the opportunity to meet my fellow Graduates working on these areas. Until then, a quick reminder that the GD Graduate program is not hiring in 2017. But you can always register your interest in Novo Nordisk’s Global Talent Pipeline following this link: www.novonordisk.com/gtp, in order to stay updated with all the great opportunities that Novo Nordisk provides in order to kick off a global career in the company.